Aimsites.org is a service designed for AIM Missionaries to create and maintain their own website or blog.

Find out more here.

Sign up

Are you an AIM Missionary wanting a blog to share what God is doing in Africa and amongst Africans?

Click here to get started.

Sign in

Lost your password?


Find blogs

By country
By ministry

Featured posts

Featured media

On-field media resources

Phil and Linda Byler, missionaries in Sudan
July 30, 2010 3:21 pm
Published in: Uncategorized

The first call came about 11 AM. Danielle, our missionary in Sudan, was experiencing severe abdominal pain, suspected appendicitis. Unable to find a doctor in Yei town, they were looking for an emergency flight to Kampala. Several phone calls later confirmed that the thrice weekly commercial flight would wait on the ground in Yei to bring her to Kampala. Being her Unit Leader from Sudan even though wearing the acting REO hat in Kampala, I elected to meet her at the Entebbe airport. She arrived still able to walk despite the severe abdominal pain. I donned my M.D. hat to ask doctor probing questions as she lay in the back seat enroute to International Hospital Kampala (IHK) I repeatedly had to  pop on the chauffeur hat to give way to the AFRICAN BIG MAY CONVOYS recklessly commandeering the road for the African Union Presidents meetings in Kampala.

While checking Danielle into the hospital at IHK my REO phone rang with an emergency call from our AIM Unit Leader in Chad. His wife, Pam, the camel crash victim from 2 weeks ago, had taken a turn for the worse and her doctor was recommending emergency medical evacuation to a major city hospital, probably in France.

The next hour was a volley of international phone calls in one ear while participating in the medical evaluation of Danielle with the other. I was changing role-playing hats so quickly it would have left Dr. Suess wordless. Meanwhile my private phone rang for some medical advice from a Sudanese pastor.

At the end of the day Danielle was settled into a hospital bed with suspected but unconfirmed appendicitis. The airplane warming up for medical evacuation in Chad was put on overnight hold when it was ascertained that the panic levels of laboratory tests were spurious. I comforted/prayed with Danielle under my fatherly hat, wound down with a phone call to Linda wearing my best friend hat, and dropped my bald, hatless head into bed.

Two days later Danielle is recovering from her appendectomy. Pam in Chad is slowly improving with lots of prayer. The Africa  Big Man convoys have all flown away. There have been no more Kampala bombings. I’m looking for a hat rack.

Comments are closed.